Skip to main content

Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney for Childcare T.C.A. § 34-6-302

Parents of a minor child may delegate to any adult person residing in this state temporary care giving authority when hardship prevents the parent(s) from caring for the child.

Hardships identified are:

  1. The incarceration of a parent or legal guardian;
  2. The physical or mental condition of the parent or legal guardian is such that care and supervision cannot be provided;
  3. The loss or inhabitability of the child's home as the result of a natural disaster.
  4. The military deployment of the parent or legal guardian.

When one of the above hardships is applicable, the custodial parent(s) and the caregiver must make an appointment to meet with Student Services Personnel in order to complete the application for Power of Attorney.

During the meeting with Student Services personnel, the custodial parent(s)/guardian and the caregiver must provide:

  1. Proof of their identity. Copies of this proof and documents related to the request will be made and included in the file that will remain in Student Services. Verification of the hardship will be required no less than annually.
  2. Child’s birth certificate and/or, in cases where prior custody arrangements have been made, legal documentation of custody.
  3. Verification documents relative to the claim of hardship. Student Services personnel will review these documents.
  4. Proof of residence required to be submitted by the caregiver.

Hardships not listed above should be referred to Juvenile Court to change the custody.